Listed below are some of the commonly asked questions about the league
1. My child is in the second grade can he/she play in the 3/4 grade bronze?
- Yes. As long as waiver is signed and the child has some basketball experience ( there will be an 1st & 2nd grade division next season)
2. Where will games and practices be held and how many times per week ?
- Depending on number of kids in a given area, the practices will generally be held in the area in which you live, however, there may be circumstances where it may be a liitle travel, if for instance you live in Tonapah and we only have three kids signed up from that area then you may have to practice in Buckeye. Games will be once per week generally on Saturdays and occassionally some weekdays. Practices will be determined by coahes, if you have days that your child cannot practice please specify on your registration form.
3. My child is currently in 8th grade but when league the starts he/she will be in 9th grade can they still play? ( This applies for summer)
- Yes. The league is determined by the grade the child is in as of sign ups and kids can play up if they wish.
4. Can kids play on more than one team?
- Yes. As long its not in same division and kids would only be allowed to play up. If a child plays in the silver division and wants to play with another team it would have to be the Gold Division.
5. Can I bring my own team and is there a discount if I do ?
- Yes. We actually encourage that players bring their friends and play on same team together. Cost is $350 for the team.
6. My daghter plays in girls division, can she also play in boys division ? Yes. Girls division is seperate, so a girl playing 5/6 girls can also play 5/6 boys since the two divisions dont play one another.
7. Are there late charges or registration cut off dates ?
No. There are no late charges and players can sign up til 3rd game of season. The first 2 games of league is preseason and does not count on schedule.
8. How can my child get on travel team? is there a tryout ? and who detemines what kids make team ?
Southwest Basketball League is a developmental league, our travel teams are created from within league. There are no tryouts, our league director as well as coaches evaluates players during season and advises parents on whether child is ready for next level. Our travel teams range from 2nd-8th grade and there is no limit on number of teams that will be created. There may be several travel teams for each age group.
9. Is the league co-ed ?
Southwest offers developmental leagues for boys and girls divisions, in general girls play in the girls league. The 1st-4th division is co-ed, however, there are times when the league will create an all girl team and will compete against the boys. Girls can play in boys league if they would like.
10. What is the cost to play on Travel team ?
There is not a club or team fee to play on travel team. The only cost is for Jersey and/or uniform, the cost to play in league or tournament and possibly gym cost for practices ($5 -$20 for entire season). Southwest Basketball usually gets very good rates for leagues and tournament throughout valley as well as coaches very experienced in coaching high level basketball. Travel teams play year round and there is no paperwork to sign for parents to commit to team.